Alcohol (Ethanol) Related Neuropathy Follow-up
- Author: Tarakad S Ramachandran, MBBS, MBA, MPH, FAAN, FACP, FAHA, FRCP, FRCPC, FRS, LRCP, MRCP, MRCS; Chief Editor: Stephen A Berman, MD, PhD, MBA more...
See the list below:
- The prognosis of alcoholic neuropathy generally is good, as reported by Hillbom and Wennberg in their series of 10 patients.
- Provided that alcohol intake is discontinued and other causes of neuropathy (eg, malignancy, diabetes, nerve trauma) are carefully excluded, clinical and electrophysiologic examinations returned to normal or near normal. This is independent of age.
- Prognosis is generally better in patients who are healthy and well nourished. Recovery is presumed to be due to regeneration and collateral sprouting of damaged axons.
- Studies have shown that patients with mild-to-moderate neuropathy can significantly improve, but the improvement is usually incomplete in those with severe findings.
Lettsom JC. Some remarks on the effects of lignum quassiae amarae. Mem Med Soc Lond. 1787. 1:128.
Jackson J. On a peculiar disease resulting from the use of ardent spirits. N Engl J Med Surg. 1822. 11:351.
Shattuck GC. The relation of beri-beri to polyneuritis from other causes. Am J Tropical Med. 1928. 83539-43:
Chopra K, Tiwari V. Alcoholic Neuropathy: Possible Mechanisms and Future Treatment Possibilities. Br J Clin Pharmacol. 2011 Oct 11. [Medline].
Manji H. Toxic neuropathy. Curr Opin Neurol. 2011 Oct. 24(5):484-90. [Medline].
Behse F, Buchthal F. Alcohol Neuropathy: Clinical, Electrophysiological and Biopsy Findings. Ann Neurol. 1977. 2:95-110.
Monforte R, Estruch R, Valls-Sole J, et al. Autonomic and peripheral neuropathies in patients with chronic alcoholism. A dose-related toxic effect of alcohol. Arch Neurol. 1995 Jan. 52(1):45-51. [Medline].
Hallett M, Fox JG, Rogers AE, et al. Controlled studies on the effects of alcohol ingestion on peripheral nerves of macaque monkeys. J Neurol Sci. 1987 Aug. 80(1):65-71. [Medline].
Dina OA, Khasar SG, Alessandri-Haber N, Bogen O, Chen X, Green PG. Neurotoxic catecholamine metabolite in nociceptors contributes to painful peripheral neuropathy. Eur J Neurosci. 2008 Sep. 28(6):1180-90. [Medline].
Koike H, Mori K, Misu K, Hattori N, Ito H, Hirayama M. Painful alcoholic polyneuropathy with predominant small-fiber loss and normal thiamine status. Neurology. 2001 Jun 26. 56(12):1727-32. [Medline].
Koike H, Sobue G. Alcoholic neuropathy. Curr Opin Neurol. 2006 Oct. 19(5):481-6. [Medline].
Johnson RH, Robinson BJ. Mortality in alcoholics with autonomic neuropathy. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1988 Apr. 51(4):476-80. [Medline].
Avaria Mde L, Mills JL, Kleinsteuber K, et al. Peripheral nerve conduction abnormalities in children exposed to alcohol in utero. J Pediatr. 2004 Mar. 144(3):338-43. [Medline].
Kharbanda PS, Prabhakar S, Chawla YK, Das CP, Syal P. Peripheral neuropathy in liver cirrhosis. J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2003 Aug. 18(8):922-6. [Medline].
Agelink MW, Malessa R, Weisser U, et al. Alcoholism, peripheral neuropathy (PNP) and cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy (CAN). J Neurol Sci. 1998 Dec 11. 161(2):135-42. [Medline].
Dina OA, Khasar SG, Alessandri-Haber N, Green PG, Messing RO, Levine JD. Alcohol-induced stress in painful alcoholic neuropathy. Eur J Neurosci. 2008 Jan. 27(1):83-92. [Medline].
Hillbom M, Wennberg A. Prognosis of alcoholic peripheral neuropathy. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1984 Jul. 47(7):699-703. [Medline].
Adams R, Victor M. Diseases of the nervous system due to nutritional deficiency. Principles of Neurology. McGraw-Hill; 1977. 757.
Brust JCM, Britton C, Chiriboga CA, et al. Mancall EL, ed. Neurological Complications of Substance Abuse. 1997. Vol 3: 89.
Novak DJ, Victor M. The vagus and sympathetic nerves in alcoholic polyneuropathy. Arch Neurol. 1974 Apr. 30(4):273-84. [Medline].
Victor M. Polyneuropathy due to nutritional deficiency and alcoholism. Dyck P, Thomas P, Lambert E, Bunge R, eds. Peripheral Neuropathy. Philadelphia: 1984. 1899.
Windebank AJ. Polyneuropathy due to nutritional deficiency and alcoholism. Dyck P, Thomas P, Lambert E, Bunge R, eds. Peripheral Neuropathy. Philadelphia: 1993. 1310.