Glanzmann Thrombasthenia Workup
- Author: Zonera Ashraf Ali, MBBS; Chief Editor: Srikanth Nagalla, MBBS, MS, FACP more...
The workup for Glanzmann thrombasthenia may include the following:
- Complete blood cell (CBC) count
- Prothrombin time (PT)
- Activated partial thromboplastin time (aPTT)
- Platelet Function Analyzer 100 (PFA-100) study
- Flow cytometry
- Monoclonal antibody assays
- Platelet aggregation studies
Results are as follows:
- The platelet count and coagulation tests should be normal
- The red blood cell count may be decreased due to bleeding and/or concomitant iron deficiency.
- The bleeding times should be prolonged.
- On PFA-100 testing in patients with Glanzmann thrombasthenia, the platelets fail to plug the collagen-based filter
- Flow cytometry and monoclonal antibodies confirm the diagnosis of Glanzmann thrombasthenia
- On platelet aggregation studies, the primary platelet aggregation response to platelet agonists such as adenosine diphosphate (ADP), epinephrine, and collagen are decreased, whereas the response to ristocetin is normal; if the secondary platelet aggregation response is abnormal, suspect a platelet storage pool defect or an abnormality in platelet signal transduction
The platelet morphology on peripheral blood smears is normal in patients with Glanzmann thrombasthenia.
Malik U, Dutcher JP, Oleksowicz L. Acquired Glanzmann's thrombasthenia associated with Hodgkin's lymphoma: a case report and review of the literature. Cancer. 1998 May 1. 82(9):1764-8. [Medline]. [Full Text].
Poon MC, Zotz R, Di Minno G, et al. Glanzmann's thrombasthenia treatment: a prospective observational registry on the use of recombinant human activated factor VII and other hemostatic agents. Semin Hematol. 2006 Jan. 43(1 suppl 1):S33-6. [Medline].
Poon MC. Clinical use of recombinant human activated factor VII (rFVIIa) in the prevention and treatment of bleeding episodes in patients with Glanzmann's thrombasthenia. Vasc Health Risk Manag. 2007. 3(5):655-64. [Medline]. [Full Text].
Saxena R, Kannan M. Glanzmann's thrombasthenia: an overview. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2008 Oct 16. epub ahead of print. [Medline].
van de Vijver E, De Cuyper IM, Gerrits AJ, Verhoeven AJ, Seeger K, Gutiérrez L, et al. Defects in Glanzmann thrombasthenia and LAD-III (LAD-1/v) syndrome: the role of integrin ß1 and ß3 in platelet adhesion to collagen. Blood. 2011 Nov 7. [Medline].
Nurden AT, Fiore M, Nurden P, Pillois X. Glanzmann thrombasthenia: a review of ITGA2B and ITGB3 defects with emphasis on variants, phenotypic variability, and mouse models. Blood. 2011 Dec 1. 118(23):5996-6005. [Medline].
Fiore M, Pillois X, Nurden P, Nurden AT, Austerlitz F. Founder effect and estimation of the age of the French Gypsy mutation associated with Glanzmann thrombasthenia in Manouche families. Eur J Hum Genet. 2011 Sep. 19(9):981-7. [Medline]. [Full Text].
Siddiq S, Clark A, Mumford A. A systematic review of the management and outcomes of pregnancy in Glanzmann thrombasthenia. Haemophilia. 2011 Sep. 17(5):e858-69. [Medline].
Tholouli E, Hay CR, O'Gorman P, Makris M. Acquired Glanzmann's thrombasthenia without thrombocytopenia: a severe acquired autoimmune bleeding disorder. Br J Haematol. 2004 Oct. 127(2):209-13. [Medline].
Kannan M, Chatterjee T, Ahmad F, Kumar R, Choudhry VP, Saxena R. Acquired Glanzmann's thrombasthenia associated with Hairy cell leukaemia. Eur J Clin Invest. 2009 Dec. 39(12):1110-1. [Medline].
Rajpurkar M, Chitlur M, Recht M, Cooper DL. Use of recombinant activated factor VII in patients with Glanzmann's thrombasthenia: a review of the literature. Haemophilia. 2014 Jul. 20(4):464-71. [Medline].
Ali N, Moiz B, Shaikh U, et al. Diagnostic tool for Glanzmann's thrombasthenia clinicopathologic spectrum. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2008 Feb. 18(2):91-4. [Medline].
Jin PP, Shen WZ, Yang F, et al. [Analysis of clinical features and genotype in three Chinese pedigrees with Glanzmann thrombasthenia]. Zhonghua Xue Ye Xue Za Zhi. 2008 Mar. 29(3):149-53. [Medline].
Lombardo VT, Sottilotta G. Recombinant activated factor VII combined with desmopressin in preventing bleeding from dental extraction in a patient with Glanzmann's thrombasthenia. Clin Appl Thromb Hemost. 2006 Jan. 12(1):115-6. [Medline].
Shen WZ, Ding QL, Jin PP, et al. A novel Pro126His beta propeller mutation in integrin alphaIIb causes Glanzmann thrombasthenia by impairing progression of pro-alphaIIbbeta3 from endoplasmic reticulum to Golgi. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2008 Oct 29. epub ahead of print. [Medline].
Solh M, Mescher C, Klappa A, Shah S, Zantek N, Datta Y. Acquired Glanzmann's thrombasthenia with optimal response to rituximab therapy. Am J Hematol. 2011 Aug. 86(8):715-6. [Medline].
Vuckovic SA. Glanzmann's thrombasthenia revisited. J Emerg Med. 1996 May-Jun. 14(3):299-303. [Medline].