Silicosis Treatment & Management
- Author: Basil Varkey, MD, FCCP; Chief Editor: Zab Mosenifar, MD, FACP, FCCP more...
Note the following:
- Prevent further exposure to silica dust.
- Strongly advise patients to quit smoking and provide help in smoking cessation efforts.
- Immunize patients against influenza and pneumococcal pneumonia.
- No specific therapy for silicosis cures or alters the course of the disease.
- Selectively in patients with very advanced disease without other comorbid conditions, lung transplantation may be an option.
- Experimental (unproven) approaches to treatment include whole-lung lavage, aluminum inhalation, and parenteral administration of polyvinyl pyridine N-oxide.
- Latent tuberculosis infection (ie, positive tuberculin skin test result without active disease) should be treated with isoniazid (see Medication). A 10-mm induration is considered a positive test result in this population.
- Active tuberculosis (ie, Mycobacterium tuberculosis identified in smear or culture) should be treated with appropriate multiple drugs (see Medication) according to the most recently established guidelines.
- Complications (eg, airflow obstruction, cor pulmonale, respiratory failure), should they occur, should be treated appropriately.
Selectively in patients with very advanced silicosis and without other significant comorbid conditions, lung transplantation should be considered.
Consulting a pulmonologist is appropriate for evaluation of lung nodules, pulmonary function assessment, and disability evaluation, as well as treatment of mycobacterial disease and complications of advanced silicosis.
No dietary restrictions are necessary.
No restrictions on activity are necessary.
Leung CC, Yu IT, Chen W. Silicosis. Lancet. 2012 May 26. 379(9830):2008-18. [Medline].
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Silicosis-related years of potential life lost before age 65 years--United States, 1968-2005. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2008 Jul 18. 57(28):771-5. [Medline].
Rosenman KD, Reilly MJ, Kalinowski DJ, Watt FC. Silicosis in the 1990s. Chest. 1997 Mar. 111(3):779-86. [Medline].
Sonnenberg P, Murray J, Glynn JR, Thomas RG, Godfrey-Faussett P, Shearer S. Risk factors for pulmonary disease due to culture-positive M. tuberculosis or nontuberculous mycobacteria in South African gold miners. Eur Respir J. 2000 Feb. 15(2):291-6. [Medline].
de Oliveira Abrao C, de Araujo Filho JA. Mycobacterium sherrisii lung infection in a Brazilian patient with silicosis and a history of pulmonary tuberculosis. Case Rep Infect Dis. 2015. 2015:498608. [Medline].
Chen S, Yuan J, Yao S, et al. Lipopolysaccharides may aggravate apoptosis through accumulation of autophagosomes in alveolar macrophages of human silicosis. Autophagy. 2015 Nov 9. [Medline].
Caplan A, Payne RB, Withley JL. A broadened concept of Caplan's syndrome related to rheumatoid factors. Thorax. 1962. 17:205-209.
Yucesoy B, Vallyathan V, Landsittel DP, et al. Polymorphisms of the IL-1 gene complex in coal miners with silicosis. Am J Ind Med. 2001 Mar. 39(3):286-91. [Medline].
Verma DK, Vacek PM, des Tombe K, et al. Silica exposure assessment in a mortality study of vermont granite workers. J Occup Environ Hyg. 2011 Feb. 8(2):71-9. [Medline].
Palabiyik SS, Girgin G, Tutkun E, Yilmaz OH, Baydar T. Immunomodulation and oxidative stress in denim sandblasting workers: changes caused by silica exposure. Arh Hig Rada Toksikol. 2013 Sep 1. 64(3):431-7. [Medline].
Linch KD. Respirable concrete dust--silicosis hazard in the construction industry. Appl Occup Environ Hyg. 2002 Mar. 17(3):209-21. [Medline].
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Silicosis in dental laboratory technicians--five states, 1994-2000. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2004 Mar 12. 53(9):195-7. [Medline].
Goodman GB, Kaplan PD, Stachura I, Castranova V, Pailes WH, Lapp NL. Acute silicosis responding to corticosteroid therapy. Chest. 1992 Feb. 101(2):366-70. [Medline].
Gupta RC, Vats M, Dadhich P, Gupta N, Taylor M. Steroid pulse therapy in silicosis. Chest. 2003. 124(4):215S.
Sharma SK, Pande JN, Verma K. Effect of prednisolone treatment in chronic silicosis. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1991 Apr. 143(4 Pt 1):814-21. [Medline].
American Thoracic Society, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Infectious Diseases Society of America. Treatment of tuberculosis. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2003 Jun 20. 52:1-77. [Medline].
Rosenman KD, Moore-Fuller M, Reilly MJ. Connective tissue disease and silicosis. Am J Ind Med. 1999 Apr. 35(4):375-81. [Medline].
Mulloy KB. Silica exposure and systemic vasculitis. Environ Health Perspect. 2003 Dec. 111(16):1933-8. [Medline].
Hogan SL, Cooper GS, Savitz DA, et al. Association of silica exposure with anti-neutrophil cytoplasmic autoantibody small-vessel vasculitis: a population-based, case-control study. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2007 Mar. 2(2):290-9. [Medline].