Meniscal Injury Follow-up
- Author: Sarjoo M Bhagia, MD; Chief Editor: Consuelo T Lorenzo, MD more...
Further Outpatient Care
See the list below:
- Patients with meniscal injuries (operative or nonoperative) are recommended to receive outpatient physical therapy for rehabilitation. Please refer to the Physical Therapy section for appropriate treatment goals and guidelines.
See the list below:
- The prognosis for pain-free return to sports is variable depending on comorbidities and severity of injury. Over the long term, meniscal injuries predispose to osteoarthritis secondary to increased loads on the articular surfaces of the knee. However, the degree of correlation between meniscal injuries and osteoarthritis has not been well established in the literature.
See the list below:
- Unfortunately, most injuries to menisci occur during accidents that are, at times, not preventable. However, the following may help avoid these injuries:
- Having strong thigh and hamstring muscles
- Gently stretching the legs before and after exercise
- Wearing shoes that fit properly when exercising and ensuring the shoes are appropriate for the activity being performed
- When skiing, ensuring that ski bindings are set correctly by a trained professional so that the skis release when a fall occurs
Shrive NG, O'Connor JJ, Goodfellow JW. Load-bearing in the knee joint. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 1978 Mar-Apr. 279-87. [Medline].
Renstrom P, Johnson RJ. Anatomy and biomechanics of the menisci. Clin Sports Med. 1990 Jul. 9(3):523-38. [Medline].
Arnoczky SP, Warren RF. Microvasculature of the human meniscus. Am J Sports Med. 1982 Mar-Apr. 10(2):90-5. [Medline].
Yeh PC, Starkey C, Lombardo S, Vitti G, Kharrazi FD. Epidemiology of Isolated Meniscal Injury and Its Effect on Performance in Athletes From the National Basketball Association. Am J Sports Med. 2011 Nov 30. [Medline].
Iobst CA, Stanitski CL. Acute knee injuries. Clin Sports Med. 2000 Oct. 19(4):621-35, vi. [Medline].
Goldstein J, Zuckerman JD. Selected orthopedic problems in the elderly. Rheum Dis Clin North Am. 2000 Aug. 26(3):593-616. [Medline].
Stanitski CL, Harvell JC, Fu F. Observations on acute knee hemarthrosis in children and adolescents. J Pediatr Orthop. 1993 Jul-Aug. 13(4):506-10. [Medline].
Yoo JC, Ahn JH, Lee SH, et al. Increasing incidence of medial meniscal tears in nonoperatively treated anterior cruciate ligament insufficiency patients documented by serial magnetic resonance imaging studies. Am J Sports Med. 2009 Apr 9. [Medline].
Konan S, Rayan F, Haddad FS. Do physical diagnostic tests accurately detect meniscal tears?. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2009 Apr 28. [Medline].
Rinonapoli G, Carraro A, Delcogliano A. The clinical diagnosis of meniscal tear is not easy. Reliability of two clinical meniscal tests and magnetic resonance imaging. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol. 2011 Jan-Mar. 24(1 Suppl 2):39-44. [Medline].
Rytter S, Kirkeskov Jensen L, Bonde JP, et al. Occupational kneeling and meniscal tears: a magnetic resonance imaging study in floor layers. J Rheumatol. 2009 May 1. [Medline].
Wareluk P, Szopinski KT. Value of modern sonography in the assessment of meniscal lesions. Eur J Radiol. 2011 Oct 5. [Medline].
Vance K, Meredick R, Schweitzer ME, et al. Magnetic resonance imaging of the postoperative meniscus. Arthroscopy. 2009 May. 25(5):522-30. [Medline].
El Ghazaly SA, Rahman AA, Yusry AH, Fathalla MM. Arthroscopic partial meniscectomy is superior to physical rehabilitation in the management of symptomatic unstable meniscal tears. Int Orthop. 2015 Apr. 39 (4):769-75. [Medline].
Stensrud S, Risberg MA, Roos EM. Effect of exercise therapy compared with arthroscopic surgery on knee muscle strength and functional performance in middle-aged patients with degenerative meniscus tears: a 3-mo follow-up of a randomized controlled trial. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2015 Jun. 94 (6):460-73. [Medline].
Gauffin H, Tagesson S, Meunier A, et al. Knee arthroscopic surgery is beneficial to middle-aged patients with meniscal symptoms: a prospective, randomised, single-blinded study. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2014 Jul 30. [Medline].
Englund M, Guermazi A, Roemer FW, et al. Meniscal tear in knees without surgery and the development of radiographic osteoarthritis among middle-aged and elderly persons: The Multicenter Osteoarthritis Study. Arthritis Rheum. 2009 Mar. 60(3):831-9. [Medline].
Church S, Keating JF. Reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament: timing of surgery and the incidence of meniscal tears and degenerative change. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2005 Dec. 87(12):1639-42.