General Principles of Mandible Fracture and Occlusion Workup
- Author: Edward W Chang, MD, DDS, FACS; Chief Editor: Arlen D Meyers, MD, MBA more...
See the list below:
- Routine preoperative laboratory studies are ordered in preparation for surgery.
See the list below:
- A CT scan is extremely useful in maxillofacial trauma. Obtain images in both the axial and coronal planes.
- A panoramic radiograph (Panorex) affords an excellent 2-dimensional representation of the mandible. The entire mandible and the dentoalveolar structures can be viewed with the Panorex. Historically, the symphyseal region was limited due to overlap wash out, but current orthopantograms give an excellent view of the mandible.
- Several types of plain films add to the evaluation of mandibular fractures.
- The dental periapical view gives fine detail to the teeth and their roots.
- The dental occlusal view helps determine whether the fracture is vertically favorable or unfavorable. It delineates the medializing effects of the internal pterygoid posterior to the first molar and the mylohyoid anterior to the first molar.
- The mandibular series includes several views to help identify the fracture.
- The Caldwell is a coronal view that shows displacement in the horizontal plane.
- The oblique views highlight the ramus angle and posterior body.
- The reverse Towne view depicts the condylar/subcondylar region well.
- Obtain a chest radiograph when evidence of a broken denture or missing tooth is present.
Ellis E 3rd, Walker LR. Treatment of mandibular angle fractures using one noncompression miniplate. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 1996 Jul. 54(7):864-71; discussion 871-2. [Medline].
Ellis E 3rd, Miles BA. Fractures of the mandible: a technical perspective. Plastic Reconstructive Surgery. December 2007. 120:76-89s.
Kyrgidis A, Koloutsos G, Kommata A, Lazarides N, Antoniades K. Incidence, aetiology, treatment outcome and complications of maxillofacial fractures. A retrospective study from Northern Greece. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2013 Oct. 41(7):637-43. [Medline].
Manson, PN. Facial fractures. Mathes, SJ. Plastic Surgery. 2nd. Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier; 2006. Chapter 66, pp 77-380.
Scvhmidt BL, Kearns G, Gordon N, Kaban LB. A financial analysis of maxillomandibular fixation versus internal rigid fixation for the treatment of mandibular fractures. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. November 2000. 58(11):1206-10.
Shetty V, Atchison K, Leathers R, Black E, Zigler C, Belin TR. Do the benefits of rigid internal fixation of mandible fractures justify the added cost? Results from a randomized controlled trial. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. November 2008. 66(11):2203-12.
Miles BA, Potter JK, Ellis E 3rd. The efficacy of postoperative antibiotic regimens in the open treatment of mandibular fractures: a prospective randomized trial. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. April 2006. 64(4):576-82.
Abdel-Galil K, Loukota R. Fractures of the mandibular condyle: evidence base and current concepts of management. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010 Oct. 48(7):520-6. [Medline].
Darwich MA, Albogha MH, Abdelmajeed A, Darwich K. Assessment of the Biomechanical Performance of 5 Plating Techniques in Fixation of Mandibular Subcondylar Fracture Using Finite Element Analysis. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015 Nov 24. [Medline].
Li Z, Zhou Z, Li P, Zeng W, Qing H, Tang W. Retrospective Study on Multidrug-Resistant Bacterium Infections After Rigid Internal Fixation of Mandibular Fracture. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2015 Nov 6. [Medline].
Mizuhashi H, Suga K, Uchiyama T, Oda Y. Changes in mechanical properties of poly-l-lactic acid mini-plate under functional load simulating sagittal splitting ramus osteotomy. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008 Feb. 37(2):162-9. [Medline].
Valiati R, Ibrahim D, Abreu ME, Heitz C, de Oliveira RB, Pagnoncelli RM. The Treatment of Condylar Fractures: to open or not to open? A critical review of this controversy. Int J Med Sci. 2008. 5(6):313-8.
Eulert S, Proff P, Bokan I, Blens T, Gedrange T, Reuther J, et al. Study on treatment of condylar process fractures of the mandible. Ann Anat. 2007. 189(4):377-83. [Medline].
Schoen R, Fakler O, Metzger MC, Weyer N, Schmelzeisen R. Preliminary functional results of endoscope-assisted transoral treatment of displaced bilateral condylar mandible fractures. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2008 Feb. 37(2):111-6. [Medline].
Coletti DP, Salama A, Caccamese JF Jr. Application of intermaxillary fixation screws in maxillofacial trauma. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007 Sep. 65(9):1746-50. [Medline].
[Guideline] Barker DA, Oo KK, Allak A, Park SS. Timing for repair of mandible fractures. Laryngoscope. June 2011. 121(6):1160-3.