Double Outlet Right Ventricle Surgery Workup
- Author: Abdullah A Alghamdi, MD, FRCSC; Chief Editor: Jonah Odim, MD, PhD, MBA more...
Routine laboratory testing in patients with double outlet right ventricle (DORV) includes CBC count, electrolyte levels, renal profile, hepatic function, coagulation profile, and assessment of nutritional status if indicated.
See the list below:
- Echocardiography of the heart and great vessels
- Echocardiography generally provides enough information for accurate and adequate diagnosis and provides the needed information to plan the surgical approach in neonates and young infants.
- Sanders et al reported that standard transthoracic echocardiography was used to diagnose conotruncal malformation in 109 of 113 infants. Of the 12 infants in whom double outlet right ventricle was diagnosed and confirmed with angiography, 11 previously received a diagnosis based on subxiphoid 2-dimensional echocardiography.
- Echocardiography can be used to correctly identify the relative position of the great arteries, the degree of subsemilunar narrowing, the position of the VSD, and the status of the mitral valve and left ventricle.
- Cardiac angiography
- Cardiac catheterization, once the criterion standard for confirming DORV, is now rarely required in the evaluation or preoperative planning of this cardiac disorder.
- Angiography has several advantages, when indicated.
- In the older child with long-standing disease, hemodynamic parameters can be directly measured.
- In the setting of possible aberrant coronary anatomy (3-5% of cases), the actual anatomic variation can be defined. This knowledge can affect surgical planning when Rastelli-type repair is contemplated.
- In the setting of pulmonary vascular anomalies, angiography can help in defining the main pulmonary branches, the pulmonary vascular tree, and the collateral vessels to the lungs.
- MRI: This has been used in the diagnosis of double outlet right ventricle but is not yet a routine or well-established diagnostic modality for double outlet right ventricle. MRI is useful to obtain additional anatomical information such as relationship of both ventricles.
- Chest radiography
- Regardless of the end of the clinical spectrum (tetralogy of Fallot [TOF] or transposition of the great arteries [TGA]) at which double outlet right ventricle occurs, findings on anteroposterior and lateral chest radiography depend on the degree of pulmonary (or subpulmonary) stenosis.
- In the setting of severe stenosis, the pulmonary parenchyma is relatively oligemic, whereas in the setting of minimal pulmonary stenosis (especially with a Taussig-Bing heart), findings are likely to be consistent with congestive heart failure. Either way, the chest image shows cardiomegaly.
See the list below:
- ECG findings are rarely diagnostic for double outlet right ventricle.
- Common findings in a child with double outlet right ventricle include right ventricular hypertrophy, right axis deviation, and, occasionally, evidence of left ventricular hypertrophy.
See the list below:
- No additional procedures are indicated.
See the list below:
- No particular histologic findings have been reported.
See the list below:
- No staging has been applied for this anomaly.
Braun K, De Vries A, Feingold DS, et al. Complete dextroposition of the aorta, pulmonary stenosis, interventricular septal defect, and patent foramen ovale. Am Heart J. 1952 May. 43(5):773-80. [Medline].
[Guideline] Lacour-Gayet F, Maruszewski B, Mavroudis C, et al. Presentation of the International Nomenclature for Congenital Heart Surgery. The long way from nomenclature to collection of validated data at the EACTS. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2000 Aug. 18(2):128-35. [Medline].
[Guideline] Walters HL 3rd, Mavroudis C, Tchervenkov CI, et al. Congenital Heart Surgery Nomenclature and Database Project: double outlet right ventricle. Ann Thorac Surg. 2000 Apr. 69(4 Suppl):S249-63. [Medline].
Demir MT, Amasyall Y, Kopuz C, Aydln ME, Corumlu U. The double outlet right ventricle with additional cardiac malformations: an anatomic and echocardiographic study. Folia Morphol (Warsz). 2009 May. 68(2):104-8. [Medline].
Lev M, Bharati S, Meng CC, et al. A concept of double-outlet right ventricle. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1972 Aug. 64(2):271-81. [Medline].
Sanders SP, Bierman FZ, Williams RG. Conotruncal malformations: diagnosis in infancy using subxiphoid 2- dimensional echocardiography. Am J Cardiol. 1982 Dec. 50(6):1361-7. [Medline].
Ong J, Brizard CP, d'Udekem Y, Weintraub R, Robertson T, Cheung M, et al. Repair of atrioventricular septal defect associated with tetralogy of Fallot or double-outlet right ventricle: 30 years of experience. Ann Thorac Surg. 2012 Jul. 94(1):172-8. [Medline].
Park CS, Lee CH, Lee C, Kwak JG. Anatomical repair of double outlet right ventricle associated with complete atrioventricular septal defect and pulmonary stenosis: extending the indications for aortic translocation. J Card Surg. 2012 Mar. 27(2):231-4. [Medline].
Edwin F, Kinsley RH, Mamorare HM, Govendrageloo K. The spectrum of double-outlet right atrium including hearts with three atrioventricular valves. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2012 Apr. 41(4):947-9. [Medline].
Barbero-Marcial M, Tanamati C, Atik E, Ebaid M. Intraventricular repair of double-outlet right ventricle with noncommitted ventricular septal defect: advantages of multiple patches. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1999 Dec. 118(6):1056-67. [Medline].
Belli E, Serraf A, Lacour-Gayet F, et al. Double-outlet right ventricle with non-committed ventricular septal defect. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 1999 Jun. 15(6):747-52. [Medline].
Lacour-Gayet F. Double outlet right ventricle with uncommitted VSD. Presented at: 81st Annual Meeting of the American Association for Thoracic Surgery; May 6, 2001; San Diego, CA.
Li S, Ma K, Hu S, et al. Biventricular repair for double outlet right ventricle with non-committed ventricular septal defect†. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2015 Jan 21. [Medline].
Brown JW, Ruzmetov M, Okada Y, Vijay P, Turrentine MW. Surgical results in patients with double outlet right ventricle: a 20-year experience. Ann Thorac Surg. 2001 Nov. 72(5):1630-5. [Medline].
Anderson RH, McCarthy K, Cook AC. Continuing medical education. Double outlet right ventricle. Cardiol Young. 2001 May. 11(3):329-44. [Medline].
Bradley TJ, Karamlou T, Kulik A, Mitrovic B, Vigneswaran T, Jaffer S. Determinants of repair type, reintervention, and mortality in 393 children with double-outlet right ventricle. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2007 Oct. 134(4):967-973.e6. [Medline].
Chin AJ, Yeager SB, Sanders SP, et al. Accuracy of prospective two-dimensional echocardiographic evaluation of left ventricular outflow tract in complete transposition of the great arteries. Am J Cardiol. 1985 Mar 1. 55(6):759-64. [Medline].
Delius RE, Rademecker MA, de Leval MR, et al. Is a high-risk biventricular repair always preferable to conversion to a single ventricle repair?. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1996 Dec. 112(6):1561-8; discussion 1568-9. [Medline].
Judson JP, Danielson GK, Puga FJ, et al. Double-outlet right ventricle. Surgical results, 1970-1980. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1983 Jan. 85(1):32-40. [Medline].
Kanter KR. Double outlet ventricles. Kaiser LR, Kron IL, Spray TL, eds. Mastery of Cardiothoracic Surgery. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott-Raven; 1998.
Kawashima Y, Fujita T, Miyamoto T, Manabe H. Intraventricular rerouting of blood for the correction of Taussig-Bing malformation. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1971 Nov. 62(5):825-9. [Medline].
Kirklin JW, Pacifico AD, Blackstone EH, et al. Current risks and protocols for operations for double-outlet right ventricle. Derivation from an 18 year experience. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1986 Nov. 92(5):913-30. [Medline].
Lacour-Gayet F, Serraf A, Galletti L, et al. Biventricular repair of conotruncal anomalies associated with aortic arch obstruction: 103 patients. Circulation. 1997 Nov 4. 96(9 Suppl):II-328-34. [Medline].
Lecompte Y, Leca F, Neveux JY, et al. Anatomic correction of transposition of the great vessels with interventricular communication and pulmonary stenosis [in French]. Ann Pediatr (Paris). 1984 Sep. 31(7):621-4. [Medline].
Lecompte Y, Neveux JY, Leca F, et al. Reconstruction of the pulmonary outflow tract without prosthetic conduit. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1982 Nov. 84(5):727-33. [Medline].
Lecompte Y, Zannini L, Hazan E, et al. Anatomic correction of transposition of the great arteries. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1981 Oct. 82(4):629-31. [Medline].
Rastelli GC. A new approach to "anatomic" repair of transposition of the great arteries. Mayo Clin Proc. 1969. 44:1. [Medline].
Serraf A, Nakamura T, Lacour-Gayet F, et al. Surgical approaches for double-outlet right ventricle or transposition of the great arteries associated with straddling atrioventricular valves. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1996 Mar. 111(3):527-35. [Medline].
Sondheimer HM, Freedom RM, Olley PM. Double outlet right ventricle: clinical spectrum and prognosis. Am J Cardiol. 1977 May 4. 39(5):709-14. [Medline].
Van Praagh S, Davidoff A, Van Praagh R. Double outlet right ventricle: anatomic types and developmental implications based on a study of 101 autopsied cases. Coeur. 1982. 13:389-440.